In honour of Gwyneth’s Goop Newsletter this week where she gets 5 directors to list their Top 5 Movie Rentals, I thought I would share my favourites with you…just in time for a weekend of movie renting :-).
1. The Outsiders – This is the film where I first fell for my beloved Matt Dillon. When I was 14 years old I watched it at least 10 times in one month with my cousin who is also a rabid fan. It is a beautiful story written by SE Hinton, about youth and dreams and reality and division. All the big names are in the movie, looking very young. Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez, Tom Cruise, Ralph Macchio, Diane Lane and of course Matt. Just writing about this movie makes me want to go watch it AGAIN. I think I can actually do the dialogue with them at this point.
2. French Kiss – This is just a fun movie. It always makes me happy. There is nothing particularly outstanding about it, other than it is a funny, well acted, well written movie. It has a terrific soundtrack that always makes me hum along. Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline are amazing together…I think this is her best film. Yes even better than When Harry Met Sally.
3. Gone With the Wind – The sweeping story of a southern belle, a dashing and handsome leading man, a strong, beautiful leading lady…this is what movies are supposed to be. Enough said.
4. Notting Hill – I just watched this again last week. I pretty much love any movie with Hugh Grant and/or Julia Roberts, so a movie with BOTH of them in it? Perfection. Again this is just a happy movie. It has a really fun cast with some truly movie stealing moments by Rhys Ifans. Alec Baldwin even makes a pretty great cameo appearance. This movie makes me want to move to London and find a house with a blue door.
5. Heat – My husband and I watch this movie a lot. I still remember when it came out, the hype about both Robert De Niro and Al Pacino doing a movie TOGETHER. They did not disappoint. The action and tension in this film was off the charts. The rest of the cast were also all great, including Val Kilmer, Ashley Judd, Dennis Haysbert, John Voight, Tom Sizemore and yes that IS Nathalie Portman. Last time we watched it we were giggling at the enormity of the cell phones the actors pulled out…a lot has changed in 10+ years.
So what are you renting?